tallassee tigers sports
Covering the purple and gold since 1954
WTLS' first season of carrying Tallassee High School football was 1954. The '54 Tigers were 'Border Conference' champs with a 9-1 record. Games in the early days of WTLS were Saturday morning tape-recorded playbacks. In 1999, WTLS began airing the games live on Friday nights. In 2000, THS games were made available through the internet. Cable simulcasts were launched in 2006. Video webcasting began in 2009. Games are now available on WTLS 1300 AM & 106.5 FM, www.1300wtls.com, www.tallasseetv.com, and Bright House Networks cable television Channel 15.
WTLS provides wall-to-wall coverage on gamedays with 'Tallassee Tiger Talk' during the Wake-Up Call with head coach Mike Battles, Jr. every Friday at 7:15. River Region Sports is on-location at Jack's from noon - 2:00. At 6:00, the 'PrimeSouth Bank Pregame Show' is a one-hour breakdown of the game of the week. Michael Butler, Gary Buchanan and Jimmy Jones handle the play-by-play duties. The 'Parker Tire and Service Center Halftime Report' features the Pride of Tallassee marching band. After the game, the crew selects the Bright House Networks 'Player of the Game' and Friendly Rentals 'Headhunter of the Game' during the 'Community Hospital Post-Game' show. Trey Taylor, Scott Ledbetter and Brad Davis host the 'Scoreboard Show' until 11:00 with updates on other games and phone calls.
2013 Football Broadcast Schedule:
Friday, August 23 - Jemison, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, August 30 - at Booker T. Washington, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, September 6 - at Bullock County, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, September 13 - vs. Charles Henderson, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, September 20 - at Headland, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, September 27 - vs. Dadeville, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, October 4 - vs. Ashford, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, October 11 - at Alabama Christian, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, October 18 - vs. St. James, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, October 25 - vs. Beauregard, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, November 1 - at Elmore County, 7:00 (Airtime - 6:00)
Friday, November 8 - Playoffs, (TBA)
Listen and Watch:.
- Tallassee had five consecutive undefeated seasons under J.E. "Hot" O'Brien from 1942 - 1946. During that stretch, the Tigers' record was 56-0-1. The Tigers won 33 straight games from 1944-1947.
- Tallassee's Justin Williams ranks fifth in Alabama for touchdowns scored in a season with 37 in 1999. Williams is the all-time leading rusher at Tallassee with career rushing yards from 1997 - 1999.
- Tallassee ranks fourth statewide with seven baseball championships.
- The Tigers won three consecutive titles from 1989 - 1991. THS won 40 games in a row in 1990 and 1991.
- The Tigers' 1995 season earned run average of 1.38 ranks second all time.
- Alfred Rivers' 81 steals from 1987 - 1990 ranks second in Alabama.
- Jonathan Rivers ranks third in the state for consecutive wins as a pitcher with 21.
- Jeri Goodman's 31-3 record as a pitcher is a Tiger's best. Goodman's 259 strikeouts lead all Tigers' pitchers.
basketball, Tallassee's only trip to the championship game occured
in 1927, a 30-12 loss to Woodlawn.
Baseball Best Single Season Averages:
Johnathon Johns (1988) - .521
Davis Knapp (2011) - .514
Michael Chandler (1987) - .509
Rusty Smith (1998) - .505
John Wilbanks (1983 - '86) - .477
Alabama High School Football Historical Society Website Link: www.ahsfhs.org